Master Bath Remodel in Shannon Lakes – Installing a Walk In Shower
A medium sized master bath in a 2/2 in the Shannon Lakes area, this home was built in the 1980’s and had carpet on the bathroom floor (yuck!).
The bathroom was good sized but much of the room was taken up by the large garden tub which the homeowners rarely used. The alcove shower was quite small and in poor condition. The vanity was in fair shape but had a worn Formica top, had only one sink and was too low to be useful for the homeowners. The toilet room and master closet were in good shape.
The layout of the bathroom remained largely the same, we removed the tub and installed a walk in shower in its place, added a new vanity and re-tiled the bathroom floor. The alcove where the old shower used to be was just finished with drywall, a great place to add some storage in the future.
“Paul and his folks were fantastic to work with. Extremely professional. Easy to communicate with and attentive to our needs. Went the extra mile to ensure a clean and organized work space. We wouldn’t think twice about hiring McManus Kitchen and Bath for future projects. We absolutely love our new master bath! “
Scope of Work
- Remove garden tub, alcove shower and vanity.
- Remove all floor tile
- Convert the old shower space into a 3’x3′ nook for storage
- Build Walk In Shower in place of old garden tub
- Add recessed niche and bench to shower
- Tile shower and bathroom floor
- Install new, two sink vanity, quartz top and framed mirror
- Add recessed lighting, bath fan and new vanity light
- Add plug in the vanity cabinet
- Install new toilet
The shower is large enough that a door was not needed. We simple installed a large frameless glass splash guard. We also installed a recessed niche and corner bench in the shower.
We installed a new vanity, Shaker style with an Espresso finish, with two sinks and a Quartz counter top. We framed the old mirror with trim that matched the cabinet finish. New vanity lights were installed as well as a new bath fan, new recessed lights and a plug inside the cabinet.
Sub Contractors and Suppliers
- Drywall and matching of the existing hard coat plaster work done by Smith Construction and Repair Services
- The tile was done by Elements Tile and Stone.
- Plumbing was done by Reid Worrell Plumbing (no website, contact us for his info)
- Electric by Chad Ohara’s Quality Electric Services.
- Cambria Quartz Counter Top Fabricated and Installed by Southern Tops (no website, contact us for info)
- The Homeowners chose the tile for the walk in shower and bathroom floor from Sellar’s Tile in Tallahassee
- They Delta faucets and shower fixtures were ordered from build.com
- The glass was ordered direct from the factory and installed by McManus Kitchen and Bath
The demo, shower construction, vanity and finish work were done in house by McManus Kitchen and Bath. We also managed the project, met all sub contractors on site each day and ensured a clean, organized job site. We work with the same sub contractors regularly so they are familiar with our work style, quality demands and our emphasis on a clean, organized job site.
Total project cost: $16,000
The homeowners had a fairly strict budget so some design changes were made early on to complete lower the cost to fit their budget. They also opted to do the painting themselves which also helped keep the project costs in check. We also kept the original mirror and just added a frame to it so it matched the new vanity.
They did decide to splurge on the shower fixtures. They chose an awesome rain shower head and added a handheld shower as well. They also invested in a quartz counter top which really looks great.
There were a few small change orders on the project… to add some additional lighting and a plug inside the vanity but those costs were relatively minor and the project was completed very close to the original budget.