Cherry Cabinets in a Mid Century Style Kitchen
Waveryly Hills, Tallahassee
Lead Designer: Kristi Williams Project Manager: Elliot Holtom
Cherry Cabinets Project Overview
The Waverly Hills neighborhood in Tallahassee has some great homes, each with a unique style. The houses are centrally located and in good school districts so it makes a lot of sense to invest in them.
This house has a great mid-century vibe but it’s kitchen left a lot to be desired. A complete gut renovation with some layout changes was needed.
McManus Kitchen and Bath is a full service remodeling company with an in house design team and showroom right here in Tallahassee.
We provide high quality remodeling services for discerning homeowners who want great design, high quality construction and a worry free remodeling experience. Contact us to schedule a consult.
Cherry Cabinets with Mid Century Style
By moving the carport door and closing in 2 carport windows we were able to move the range to a better spot, add a bar/buffet area for more storage and then open up the area around the peninsula and create some seating.
The cherry cabinets with slab doors and simple trims combined with painted peninsula & bar cabinets, quartz countertops, stacked pattern backsplash and polished nickel fixtures maintain the mid century style.
Start Date: May 2nd, 2023
Completion Date: July 26th, 2023
Total Cost: $100,780
- Move carport door, remove carport windows, move range
- Extended wood floors into Kitchen
- Cherry cabinets with slab doors
- Bar / Buffet area
Before: closed off from dining area, cramped and cluttered
After: Open to the dining area, clutter free with space for multiple cooks
Before: Sink centered on a window that looks into a closed in carport
After: removing the window and relocating the range for more counterspace
Before: Hot water heater took up a lot of pantry space, shelving was too small
After: Moved hot water heater, added deeper shelving that goes to ceiling.
Before: Largely unused area
After: Added storage with microwave and fridge
Want Some Inspiration In Your Inbox?
Cherry cabinets have high color variation and will darken over time
Before Floorplan Vs After Floorplan
Finishes like the cherry cabinets and quartz countertops make the kitchen look great. But improving the layout was the real goal.
We started by removing two windows that looked into a now enclosed carport. They were not serving any real function.
That allowed us to move the range over the to carport wall and install a proper range hood. It also allowed us to move carport door over about 3 feet so we could expand the kitchen.
We also removed an uneeded bookshelf in the hallway that was was taking up space in the kitchen. That gave us more room for the new bar area. Finally the water heater was moved out of the pantry closet (we installed a tankless water heater on the outside of the house).
Before: L-shaped kitchen was cramped and bad window and door layout were limiting options.
After: Removed 2 windows, moved door, removed hall closet, Moved range and fridge. Created a bigger peninsula and added cabinets and counters.
Cherry Cabinets in Mid Century Style
Our Favorite Things
The cherry cabinets really stand out and look fantastic. But its the other finishes and fixtures that give this kitchen that luxe feel.
Glass Door at Bar
Polished Nickel Bridge Faucet
Panelled Dishwasher matches peninsula cabinets
Large peninsula with seating and brass sconces on the beam
Blue backsplash tile, 3×12 with stacked pattern strenthens the simple lines of the slab door cabinets.
Custom Pantry Shelves (we removed the water heater and installed a Rinnai)
Challenges And Solutions
Things went pretty smoothly but we did have a few issues:
- The flooring was more difficult to install than we expected. It took a few extra trips for our installer to get it just right.
- When staining the floors they got some stain on the cabinet trim. The installers were able to replace it without issue though
- The dishwasher was faulty. It stopped working after one use. It took some time to trouble shoot and get it working properly but May Munroe was finally able to fix it.
- We had a plumbing vent issue that was hard to track down…. when clothes washer in the carport drained it caused a “gurgling” sound at the kitchen sink. After snaking the drains several times we got that resolved.
This project ran 3 weeks past schedule due to the challenges listed above. Fortunately the kitchen was functional by the original completion date and they were able to move in on time.
Proposed project start date: May 2nd, 2023
Actual Project Start Date: May 2nd, 2023
Proposed Completion Date: July 5th, 2023
Actual Completion Date: July 26th, 2023
Cherry Cabinets and Mid Century Style
Initial Estimate: $80.780 This was the estimate we presented at the end of our design and budget consult .
Fixed price propsoal: $99,791. This was the total cost at the end of the design process.
This was about a 20% cost increase from initial budget to final project cost.
Reasons for increase/Decrease:
- Labor costs for this project came in a about $6500 more than budgets. A few things were added to the scope of work during design that caused this.
- Material costs were $11,300 more than originally budgeted. This was mostly due to an error in calculating cabinet cost during the budget phase.
- Installation Labor 37% 37%
- Materials and Fixtures 36% 36%
- Design and Project Management Costs 15% 15%
- Sales Tax and Shipping 3% 3%
- Overhead and Profit 9% 9%
- Change Orders 1% 1%
On this project there were just two small changes.
- The client requested we buff and coat the wood floors in the Living room at a cost of $633
- The client requested we repalce the baseboards in the hallway at a cost of $231
The Cherry cabinets have simple slab doors and simple trim, a key component to the mid-century look
Materials and Fixtures Used in This Project
- Cabinets and Counters
- Tile and Flooring
- Manchester Dew Blue 3×12 Subway Tile From Tilebar
- Wood flooring, finsihed to match rest of house installed in kitchen
- Plumbing and Lighting Fixtures
- 3000K flush mount disc lights in ceiling
- Modern Milky Globe Sconce in Aged Brass for Beam in Kitchen, From Shades of Light
- Angled powerstrip on peninsula, from task lighting
- Roma Workstation Sink from Ruvati
- Brizo Litze Double Handle Square Arc Bridge Faucet with knurled handle
- Disposall and Air switch from Mountain Plumbing
Schedule a Design and Budget Consult
- Clarify Your Design Ideas with 3D Renderings
- Detailed Estimate of Materials and Labor
- Explore material and fixture options in our showroom